Skip to Main Content

Research Associate

Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening.  To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.

If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.

Posting Details

Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Indiana University’s non-discrimination statement is found in policy UA-01 at http://www.policies.iu.edu. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. The address for Indiana University’s Title IX Coordinator is: 400 E. 7th Street, Poplars 833, Bloomington, IN 47405. The Annual Security Reports, containing policy statements and crime statistics for Indiana University campuses, are available through Public Safety and the IU Police Department web sites at protect.iu.edu/police-safety/annual-reports/index.html. A paper copy will be provided upon request from Public Safety at iups@iu.edu.

Position Details

Title Research Associate
Specific Title
Appointment Type Research Associate
Department IUSM - Microbiology & Immunology
Campus IU School of Medicine Indianapolis
Position Summary

The Nelson lab is seeking a full-time research associate who will direct microbial cultivation and metagenomic sequencing activities related to on-going NIH-funded study whose aim is to identify novel pathogens associated with male idiopathic urethritis. Approximately 75% of this individual’s time would be spent on sample processing, data generation and analysis, and the other 25% on management of laboratory support staff and coordination with clinical staff at study sites.

Basic Qualifications

Minimum requirements include a PhD in microbiology and demonstrated experience in processing various types of clinical specimens for microbial cultivation and metagenomic sequencing. Demonstrated experience in cultivation of novel microorganisms, contemporary 16S, 18S and shotgun metagenomic sequencing approaches, and genome assembly and annotation are also essential for this position.
Prior laboratory management experience is highly desirable.

Department Contact for Questions

Dave Nelson, nelsonde@indiana.edu

Additional Qualifications

This position requires extensive time walking between various clinical sites, the most typical walk is ½ a mile and it has to be done quickly.

Special Instructions
Priority Application Review Deadline
Expected Start Date 10/01/2017
OAA # IUSM001812016

Supplemental Questions

Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).

  1. * How did you hear about this position?
    • Personal Contact: At Professional Meeting or Conference
    • Personal Contact: Direct Contact by Search Committee
    • Personal Contact: Referred by colleague or advisor
    • Personal Contact: School of Medicine recruiter
    • Personal Contact: IUHP Physician Recruiter
    • Announcement: Other Journal or Magazine
    • Announcement: Other Website
  2. * Are you a dual career partner (your partner or spouse is already being recruited)?
    • Yes
    • No

Applicant Documents

Required Documents
  1. Curriculum Vitae
  2. Letter of Application
Optional Documents
  1. List Of References